On March 23, the Veterans Health Administration published its plan to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. The objective of the plan is to protect veterans and staff from COVID-19. Read the report here.
On March 20th, OMB released a memorandum to Federal agencies on “Managing Federal Contract Performance Associated with the Novel Coronavirus.” It provides guidance and FAQs to help agencies manage contract performance during the COVID-19 national emergency.
DHS and DoD Issue “Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce” Guidance for COVID-19
DHS and DoD have issued advisories about the essential critical infrastructure workforce (and contractors) needed to aid the nation’s response to the coronavirus outbreak and/or national defense. For the DHS advisory, click here. The DoD memo specific to the Defense Industry Base is posted here.
On March 15, 2020 the Department of Veterans Affairs published a memo establishing emergency acquisition flexibilities through June 30, 2020 including an increase in the MPT to $20,000 and an increase in the SAT to $750,000. For more information, click here.
The Coalition submitted comments focused on the significant burden imposed by the Pricing DIsclosures, as well as steps GSA should take to adhere the “regulatory philosophy” established in Executive Order 12866.
This week, the Coalition submitted comments to GSA on the subject bilateral modification. To read the Coalition’s comments and recommendations, click here.
GSA announced that its three-year Transactional Data Reporting (TDR) pilot program is being extended by another year. The Coalition’s president, Roger Waldron, commented that the decision to extend the pilot “makes good business sense for its customer agencies and industry partners.”
This week, the Coalition presented comments to GSA on the Price Reductions Clause (PRC) and the Transactional Data Reporting (TDR). GSA is gathering feedback on the information collection burdens of these regulations. To read the Coalition’s comments and recommendations, click here.
On August 1, the Coalition submitted comments to GSA on the Commercial Platform Initiative Draft RFP. The draft was issued by GSA on July 2. The Coalition advises that GSA suspend the implementation of the proof of concept until certain revisions are made. To read the full comments, click here.
Upcoming Events & Meetings
- April 7 – Webinar: The New Normal of Government Contracting – How to Keep Performing and Mitigate Business Risks During a Pandemic
Please join us for The New Normal of Government Contracting – How to Keep Performing and Mitigate Business Risks During a Pandemic. In this webinar, Miller & Chevalier’s Jason N. Workmaster, Preston L. Pugh, and Erin M. Sweeney will discuss good contracting hygiene as the government contracting community adjusts to the impacts resulting from COVID-19 and the federal response to the virus. The topics will include:
· Steps you should be taking to minimize the financial impact of the pandemic crisis on your business
· Cyber implications of employees working from home
· Responding to changing employee health needs
· Employment & crisis management
Click here to register.
- April 8 – Webinar: Key Provisions under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (the “CARES Act”)
During this webinar, Sheppard Mullin partner Jonathan Meyer and associate Nikki Snyder will provide a general review of assistance available to companies under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (the “CARES Act”). Topics covered will include:
- Assistance available to small businesses;
- Assistance available to businesses critical to maintaining national security, and certain airlines/airline contractors;
- Loans available to other businesses;
- Loans available to mid-sized businesses (the Main Street lending program);
- Assistance specifically for federal contractors; and
- Tax benefits.
Click here to register.
- April 9 – Webinar: Small Business Lending Aspects of the Stimulus Bill
Please join the Coalition for our next webinar – Small Business Lending Aspects of the Stimulus Bill, Including Size Eligibility and Affiliation Rules for SBA Loans. We are fortunate to have the following presenters participate in this webinar: Ken Dodds, Government Contracting Industry Expert, Live Oak Bank; Patrick Kelley, former Deputy Chief of Staff at SBA and former Deputy Associate Administrator of the Office of Capital Access, now Executive Vice President, Live Oak Bank; and Christian Nagel, CARES Act Lending Program, Holland & Knight.
The call will cover CARES Act financing provisions, including:
- Paycheck Protection Program and size eligibility
- Loan amount calculation and loan forgiveness
- 7(a) loans and SBA payment of principal and interest
- Economic Injury Disaster loans
- Temporary increase in the cap on the SBA Express line of credit
Click here to register.
- April 22 – Webinar: Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) Guidelines
Now that DOD has released the final version of the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) guidelines, all contractors that work directly or indirectly on Department of Defense (DOD) contracts should be preparing to obtain the CMMC. This important new certification, which DOD will eventually require for all DOD contracts, demonstrates your IT system’s capability for protecting DOD-sensitive information and will help you gain (or not lose) a competitive advantage. With the third-party certifiers potentially starting to accept applications from contractors as soon as this summer, PilieroMazza is committed to helping government contractors understand the guidelines and what they need to do to prepare for the certification.
· An introduction to and overview of the CMMC;
· An explanation of the five certification levels and the framework against which contractors will be judged to attain each level;
· What contractors should be doing now to update their internal IT, employee, and DOD business capture practices and procedures;
· Cybersecurity’s impact on awards and protests and how to ensure your company is adequately protected in teaming, subcontract, joint venture, and related agreements with third parties;
· Leveraging mentor-protégé relationships to jump start your cybersecurity compliance; and
· The importance of cybersecurity due diligence in mergers and acquisitions.
Click here to register.
- August 19 – Joe Caggiano Golf Tournament – Whiskey Creek, Ijamsville, MD
- October 21 – Fall Healthcare Procurement Training Conference – Fairview Park Marriott, Falls Church, VA
- October 21 – Excellence in Partnership Awards – Fairview Park Marriott, Falls Church, VA
- October 22 – Fall Training Conference – Fairview Park Marriott, Falls Church, VA
In recent days, I have been trying to find a personal frame of reference for what our nation is experiencing today, and I am drawn to what we experienced in the Fall of 2001. Nineteen years ago, I...
The last several weeks have been anything but normal for the contracting community as the nation responds to the COVID-19 national emergency. For many of us, contributing to the response has meant...
As our nation confronts the COVID-19 virus unleashed on the planet, we all must remember and recommit to the values and spirit that enabled us to overcome existential threats in the past. To this...